Total Pageviews

Monday, April 4, 2011

Rant

I remember my old boss and I talking about my first trip to Spain. "Are all the men there gorgeous?" she asked.

Okay, I have noticed there are a lot of good looking people in Spain...this is allegedly true for most Mediterranean countries. However, in general, I am disgusted by Spanish men. I cringe when I walk by them, awaiting for the creepy catcalls that inevitably follow. I can't enjoy the beautiful park near my house, wear cute spring clothes, or even walk to the metro without fearing a creepy old man (viejo verde)....or creepy YOUNG man will say something disgusting or make vulgar noises in my general direction. I feel violated.

My friends accompanying during my study abroad trip thought I overreacted. My adult students agree it's annoying but tell me stories of friends who walk by construction sites for an ego boost. My roommate just laughed when I ranted about it. I think it's unacceptable.

This is 2011. I should not be made to feel like I'll I'm good for is to look at. Yeah, I'm sure these guys just grew up in this machismo society...that they don't mean anything by it. I don't care. At first I started ignoring it. In winter the layers of clothing make it less common. But now I've snapped and starting reacting. I flick them off, cursing at them in English (I think FUCK YOU is pretty universally understood). Honestly, it is a huge problem to me. Most people find it annoying, irritating, rude. I find it vulgar, condescending and objectifying.

The only solution I can come up with, besides moving out of the country, is to start learning some vulgar things in Spanish. Maybe then they'll get the idea.

Okay, end rant. Thanks for reading my venting.

No comments:

Post a Comment