Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Madrilena

I've been in Madrid less than 2 months, but I already feel fairly accustomed to life here. I suppose it's not such the culture shock of living in South Korea, but I also feel like I can accomplish more on my own since I know a little more Spanish than Korean.

A few weeks ago I got a Spanish library card, which has been especially helpful in lesson planning. Funds are low (and I STILL haven't received my replacement credit cards) so I check out books and use them in class.

Today I succeeded in finally getting an Abono, which is an unlimited metro/bus pass renewable every month. It took me three Tobaco shops, or estankeras as my roommate says they're called, to finally find one that sold them. For less than 50 euros a month, I can ride all the subways and buses I won't, hooray! I realize I'm on the metro a lot because I'm starting to recognize people. Two in particular are quite noticeable, so I'm sure there are many more I've overlooked because of their ordinariness. One is a tiny Asian woman who always wears her sunglasses inside and plays some game on her cell phone that involves incessant clicking of buttons. I've learned not to sit next to her. The other is a Spanish man so pale he makes ME look tan...and it's winter. Seriously, I think he might be a ghost. Also, a notable trip on the subway last night led me to find the world's WORST haircut...which is saying a lot in Spain. The man had a buzzcut almost all over, but left the front long, giving the effect of greasy, stringy bangs hanging about halfway down his forehead. I say the effect of bangs, because I'm not sure buzzcut men are able to have bangs. Weird. At least it keeps me entertained during the hours I spend on the metro each day. On the bright side, I'm going through books like mad!

I'll be headed to London a week from tomorrow to fly out to the States! I'm excited because the trip seems a little last minute and the weather there has been gorgeous lately, or so I'm told by my mother and weather.com. I promise once I start being more interesting I'll have more pictures to put up!

No comments:

Post a Comment